Monday, September 21, 2009

goat cheese

So I was all excited to tell everyone about our goat cheese making, but actually it turned out to be pretty boring and definitely not cost effective.


At least not cost effective until I get a goat. And actually I need two, because they are social creatures, and you don't want your goat to get lonely and hostile.

Moving on, we got our milk at the Sunset Valley Farmers Market from Swede Farm. We had heard a lot of great things about them before, and the guy was super nice and helpful, and gave us some tips. He invited us down to Waller for a farm tour which I think would be extremely fun but I would probably come home with a goat. Or two. So not this weekend.

Chase was in charge of the actual cheesemaking, and I think he did a great job. He used a bunch of different directions, but relied mostly on Dave's advice, and this video. The whole thing took less than an hour, and there was cheese at the end! Hurray cheese!

We got a whole lot of whey from the cheesemaking, and didn't want to throw it out, so I used it to make this bread which turned out really good- like super tasty communion bread. Mmm....

Anyway, we could buy a similar amount of goat cheese (on sale) for the same amount we spent on the milk, so we probably won't do this a lot, but it was fun to try it out. And we've been eating the cheese on pizzas and pastas and even a salad or two. It's pretty great.

1 comment:

LeeAnne said...

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that you had fun making your cheese. In the end that is the most important part.

- Swede Farm Dairy