Friday, March 4, 2011

Sick Day

Lots of stuff has been going around the girls' school lately, and we were due to come down with some of it...


When Janey gets sick, everyone knows it. She plays hard and she falls hard- she is sicker than anyone has ever been sick. Her voice sounds like she's been smoking a pack a day for 20 years, she has a hacking seal-bark cough, and her cheeks are bright pink.

She says, pitifully, "Mama could you please put Ben in his chair because I NEEEEEEED you!" and of course she does, and I do, and she's my little Jane monkey baby for the day, clinging to my hip. At least her proximity lets me keep tabs on her fever inching up between dosings of advil.


She says, "Tomorrow I am going to feel MUCH MUCH better, right Mama?"

And I say that she will, because she probably will. And I say a prayer or a billion for mothers who can't go to the 24 HEB pharmacy for more advil, and for mothers whose babies won't feel better tomorrow. Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer, but sometimes it only takes a tiny glimpse of another road to snap you back to gratefulness.

I am so so grateful.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for this post, Kate. I love watching your girls grow up on the internets, even though I can't watch in person. And such a great reminder of how much love they draw from us, even in their sickest and neediest states!