Monday, May 24, 2010

Day Tripping

For the first weekend in forever, this last Saturday we had absolutely nothing scheduled. I had wiggled out of various end-of-the-school-year party type things, because that's just the kind of uninvolved jerk I am. And obviously we have lots of laundry to do, and a very dirty house, and a serious raccoon-on-the-patio problem that we will have to address soon, if Ramona ever wants to eat a full meal of dog food again. But we were so happy to have nothing definitely scheduled that we decided to get out of town, before we remembered a very important birthday party or something.


We grabbed swimsuits and towels and headed for Pedernales Falls, about 45 minutes from Austin. We've camped here before and really loved it. There are nice shady campsites, with a little trail down to the river. Next time we may try the more primitive sites, because this weekend the park was absolutely packed, which isn't a huge deal on the river, but might be annoying if you were actually camping.


Ramona is a huge fan of the river, but not a huge fan of being put on a leash about 3 feet away from the river. This is the other bummer of going on a busy weekend. She did get to run around whenever things calmed down. Actually, she ran around enough that she had her little old lady limp when we got home. Isn't she lovely and distinguished in her old age? With her little white muzzle? Usually a good night of sleep with fix her limp, and it has this time as well.


The water was just cold enough to be really nice when the sun was shining, and a little bit too cold when the wind was blowing. From my spot on the blanket, with a book, I could attest that the water was the perfect temperature.


Chase couldn't find his suit and was rocking the jorts, so I don't think he found the water quite as enjoyable, while he was fishing out various floating-away sand toys. Eventually I had to find out for myself. It was pretty great.


Pretty much the only thing that could make it better was a cherry limeade, and we stopped for one on the way home. I'm glad we did, because while walking around barefoot in beach clothes in a Sonic parking lot (CLASS) I realized I'd left my flip flops sitting on the ground, next to where we parked our car. That fuzzy-headed pregnancy thing is not a myth. I literally stepped out of my shoes, into the car. WTF.

So we turned around and went back to get them. Both tired girls fell asleep on the way home, and overall I'd say it was a pretty great day, even if we didn't do any laundry.

No comments: