Friday, February 20, 2009

Roll that beautiful worm footage

First batch of compost from my under the sink vermicomposting operation. I can't tell you how less-than-enthusiastic Chase was about this whole idea, and I'll admit there have been some awkward moments, like when the HOA plumber testing hot water pressure in our kitchen asked "What the hell is that?!"


Nonetheless, Wren (the other pro-worn member of the household (Jane is so far neutral)) and I persevered, and now we have lovely compost for the garden, and a worm population explosion that's finding a new home in the hopefully soon to be vegetable garden.

For Christmas this year my dad gave the girls a little bag full of garden tools and a big cardboard box full of flower and vegetable seeds, as well as some compost from his own awesome garden. Wren has asked once every 11 minutes since Christmas if it was time to plant the seeds yet, and in just another week or so it will be. I am hoping that we will be able to figure out some way to get some more sun in our very dark little smidge of yard, someone suggested hanging up shiny insulation? I think the HOA might have a problem with that as well.

1 comment:

rachel said...

we'll take some worms! i've been vermicomposting in my heart for years. i need to do it for real.