Thursday, March 19, 2009

fourth wave feminism

My mom tells me what I was like at Wren's age, "three going on thirteen" and completely convinced that "ladies wear dresses." Even though my mom of course wore jeans every single day. Now I wear jeans every day (more or less) and Wren changes out of pajamas and into a dress or skirt first thing in the morning.

At her preschool they had a dress-up day- "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Of course Wren wants to be a Princess Mama.


So she wore a Cinderella T-shirt and a little red sling, with a baby in it. I remembered dress-up day approximately 10 minutes before we were supposed to be out the door, and so this sling was a last minute affair, made with scrap fabric. I'm happy it came together fast and has held up so far. It's getting a good bit of use, and I really should have made one a long time ago. Wren would have loved this when I was actually carrying baby Jane around in a sling all the time.

2 comments:

rachel said...

did i ever tell you about the day my mother dressed me up for "pioneer day"? she remembered about 10 minutes before we walked out the door and dressed me in a bonnet, gigantic skirt, floor length apron, and a lacy, buttony, collared up to the chin shirt.

it would have been awesome IF IT WERE ACTUALLY PIONEER DAY.

Unknown said...

i was the same way when i was little... i never wanted to wear jeans. my mom said that i told her jeans were uncomfortable (maybe i didn't use that word?). but yeah, i was pretty much attracted to every frilly thing i saw, and i was never really allowed to own any of them.